Monday, March 25, 2013

Mirror turned Chalkboard

When Casey and I went to our cake tasting, a HUGE chalkboard hung on my cake lady's wall caught my eye! I told Casey on the way home "I am going to make us a chalkboard like that!"... the poor guy had no clue what I was talking about BUT he did know that I meant business.

That was a Saturday...

Monday on my way home, I stopped at Goodwill and found me a HUGE mirror and took it home. Casey was not surprised one bit when I told him I needed him to bring it in from the car! Gosh, I just love that man! The downside was that we had to wait 5 whole days before we could start working on it due to our hectic lives... I wanted it finished that night! HAHA

We decided to spray paint the frame of the mirror a turquoise color (mostly because I had a full can of spray paint and we didn't want to spend money on another color). After the frame was dry, we decided to antique it out a bit... after all it needed to fit the rest of the decor in the house. A friend gave us some chalkboard paint to use on the mirror but before she brought it over, Casey had bought me some chalkboard spray paint (he knows me oh so well). I was kind of nervous on how the spray paint would work, but it worked like a charm. We applied the paint according to the directions and waited for it to dry.

I ended up stealing some chalk from my son's chalk bucket (shh don't tell him) and smooth a layer of chalk dust to the chalk board... it was complete!!!

The only down side to all of this, the mirror didnt have hooks on the back for hanging so now we have to go and buy a picture hanger set that is for a very heavy picture (probably weighing 20) pounds... It WILL be hung this week because we have guest coming over for Easter this weekend. Here are the before and after photos, I am in love with it!!!



Now its time for me to find some cute loving quotes to write my family each week!!!

Have a KRAFTY day!
Love Krafty Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment